Sunday evening I was walking into a large retail store and passed a man and a boy standing outside of a pretty new Class A RV (a 40 foot bus kind of RV). The man was a little greasy and wearing jeans and a T-shirt. The 9-10 year old boy was wearing shorts and a shirt.
As I walked up, the boy asked me if the motor coach was mine. I told him that I was in the coach further down the parking lot. We had left a few hours earlier on a trip. The boy was really impressed with the idea of being in a big, RV.
We talked awhile and I learned:
1. They were from a town about 150 miles away;
2. They had been in town taking care of the man's mother;
3. His mother had died earlier that day;
4. They couldn't relax at the house, so they had come to this 24-hour store just to walk around;
5. Their car had a problem that caused it to "die," so he had to do some work on it in the dark;
6. They had come to the store after the car was fixed, because they had to get out of the house;
7. They camped a lot in a tent;
8. The boy thought that being in a motor coach would be about the best thing in the world.
As I talked and listened, I assumed that, other than the recent death, they were probably living a physical life similar to mine. It occurred to me later that they may well have been homeless. Tent-camping may have been their standard housing. Taking care of "mom" may have been their opportunity to get in out of the weather for a few days while helping mom during her final few days. The problems with the car may well have been the rule instead of the exception.
While with them, I spoke about the advantages of an RV like these. I also spoke of my fondness for tents: the mobility, the night sounds, etc. I took my turn when it came to me and talked about the way I like things.
What I did NOT do was talk about Jesus. They were in pain, in need, in want... and I talked about me. I could not help them with their pain. I could not help them with their need. I could not help them with their wants. Jesus can help them with all of those and so much more, and I just talked about camping and my preferences.
Had I been thinking about my destination (eternity) instead of focusing on my journey (the trip to Mount Rushmore) I would have turned the conversation to Jesus, as well as God's grace, comfort, and peace.
When will I learn that my life is not about me, but about God and His purposes, and the best interests of others?
No comments:
Post a Comment